Saturday, September 30, 2017
Starting in Petoskey State Park, this point-to-point course (filled mostly with long, flat stretches and just of bit of rolling terrain) will take runners half-way around Little Traverse Bay via a very short section on the Little Traverse Wheelway followed by a long, beautiful stretch along Beach Road to the finish line at the waterfront in downtown Harbor Springs.
Course Overview – Download Course Map
Start Line in Petoskey State Park
The 10k will start in the parking area near the beach house within 50 yards of Little Traverse Bay. Runners will do a 1.1 mile loop on the paved road in Petoskey State Park, first heading by sand dunes and then along the wooded back dunes to Aid Station 3 where you will join the half marathon course at the 7 mile mark. As you loop past the Aid Station, notice the wooden steps marking the start of the Old Baldy hiking trail. All runners will head down the main park road to the park entrance on M119 where you will turn left onto a short section of the Little Traverse Wheelway.
Runners will enjoy veering off the most congested part of the Wheelway to instead follow Beach Road along a windy, rolly section through back dunes (receded sand dunes now covered with trees) to the shore where you will then run a long, flat, straight section passing Aid Station 4 (for 10k runners this is the 2.6 Mile Marker and the 9.5 Mile Marker for Half Marathon runners). After a short, windy section passing through the Roaring Brook Nature Preserve you will turn onto Beach Drive and run along the water’s edge through the historic resort community of Wequetonsing. You will pass Aid Station 5 at the water’s edge (for 10k runners this is the 4.7 Mile Marker and the 11.6 Mile Marker for Half Marathon runners) and continue through Wequetonsing with the harbor and Harbor Point lighthouse coming into close view. The last section is heading down Bay Street along the harbor in downtown Harbor Springs passing Josephine Ford Park and the Harbormaster to the finish chute just past the old Depot train station.
There are 3 aid stations on the 10K course; these are the same aid stations used by the half marathoners so separate Mile Markers will be posted for each race. Aid stations are sponsored by local businesses and run by energetic volunteers. They will be stocked with water, energy drink and GU.
- Just .5 miles off the start line after you make a turn-around and hit the Dunes campground and Old Baldy trailhead
- Mile Marker 2.6 on the long, straight, flat stretch at the entrance to Harbor Cove
- Mile Marker 4.6 near the start of the straight, flat stretch passing historic Wequetonsing along the water’s edge
- This is an open course! There may be vehicles on the road so be aware of traffic and obey all signs.
- Volunteers wearing orange vests and police officers will be stationed at several locations on the course to direct traffic and runners.
- If you need help on the course, go to an Aid Station or look for a volunteer or bike marshal.
- If you leave the course and choose not to finish the race, you must notify The Outfitter at 231.526.2621
- Remember the Rules of the Road-Run left on open roads facing oncoming traffic